The Fuel Adjustment Factor (FAF) is a percentage-based surcharge that is easily added to transportation line items in an invoice. FAF in vWork simplifies how you manage variations in fuel costs by eliminating the need to adjust base transportation rates for hours worked, distance traveled, and other transportation costs. In vWork FAF is automatically calculated when added to selected line items in a job invoice simplifying your invoicing workflow and improving invoice consistency and accuracy.
FAF is an optional feature in the vWork Finance settings. To find out more about FAF or have it added to your vWork account, please contact email@example.com. We’ll get in touch to talk through your requirements.
In this article
This article explains the optional vWork FAF feature and how it can help your business better manage variations in your transportation costs when sharing these variations with your customers.
Click the topic link above to go to that topic. You can return to this topic list by clicking this icon:
What is FAF?
While FAF is a widely used term, different industries also know it by other names. You may know it as:
- Variable Fuel Factor (VFF)
- Diesel Surcharge
- Variable Fuel Charge (VFC)
- Variable Fuel Rate (VFR)
- Fuel Surcharge
- Fuel Levy
In vWork, we simply call it FAF.
FAF is enabled, configured, and disabled on the FAF page in the Finance settings. After enabling a default FAF rate percentage, we automatically calculate and add FAF to selected line items in your job invoices.
You can assign customized FAF rates to selected customers. These rates override the default FAF rate percentage for those customers.
Benefits of the vWork FAF feature
vWork’s FAF feature is a versatile and flexible tool that empowers you to simplify your invoicing processes and better manage your invoicing in an environment with rapidly changing fuel costs. Use FAF in vWork to streamline your billing process, rapidly and simply adapt to variations in fuel costs, and provide customized service to selected customers.
Easily add or remove FAF for selected line items in an invoice
In its simplest form, you check a box and define a default FAF rate to automatically calculate FAF for selected line items in your jobs and job templates. You can turn the FAF rate on and off for individual line items from in the job invoice and also override FAF applied to line items from a job template.
Automatically apply FAF to time and distance charged
Save time and never forget to add FAF to automatically generated line items after a job is completed. Enable FAF for time and distance line items in the FAF Finance settings and it is automatically added to every invoice where automatic line items are enabled.
🔔 Note: This works slightly differently with the optional Equipment feature, depending on whether you've added the variable per-user rate option to your account or are using the default finance settings for hours and distance rates. We explain this in the article, FAF and automatically calculated time and distance line items.
Automatically add FAF to selected pricebook items added to an invoice
Make selected pricebook line items FAF-enabled to simply, quickly, and consistently add FAF to every invoice. You control what line items FAF is applied to and ensure it is consistently added to your invoices.
Pricebook line items added to jobs have FAF applied automatically without needing extra steps from your mobile workers, dispatchers, or finance team, saving you time and improving accuracy.
Easily cater to the unique requirements of every customer
Every customer is unique, and their needs may differ.
Add customer-specific FAF rates to simplify how you manage FAF for different customer groups; these automatically override the default FAF rate on all job invoices.
Use customer-specific rates to meet the unique requirements of different customers, such as your high-value customers and very loyal customers.
You also have the flexibility to set a 0% FAF rate for selected customers, exempting them from FAF charges and excluding FAF from their invoices.
Versatile and flexible
FAF in vWork is customizable and flexible. It is easily tailored to your specific requirements and can adapt to manage the unique situations of your customers. You have complete control over the FAF rate and the line items it is added to, streamlining your invoicing process. We make sure you manage the application of FAF rates accurately and consistently while maintaining flexibility.
- To learn how to enable FAF and set the FAF rate percentage to apply to automatically generated time and distance line items for completed jobs please read the article, Enable FAF and configure FAF settings.
- To learn how to create customer-specific FAF rates and apply these to selected customers please read the article, Set customer-specific FAF rates for selected customers.
- To learn how to change the customer-specific rate assigned to a group of selected customers, restore the default rate for a customer, or delete a customer-specific rate, please see the article Change customer-specific FAF rates.
- To learn how to update a Pricebook so that selected line items automatically apply FAF when added to an invoice please read the article, Enable FAF for line items in a pricebook.
- To learn how to add FAF to line items in a job or job template and see how we calculate and apply FAF to an invoice please read the article, Apply FAF to invoice line items.
- To learn how FAF shows and can be edited for line-items in the vWork mobile app, please read the article, Edit invoices with FAF line-items using the vWork mobile app.
- To learn how FAF applies to automatically generated time and distance line items, please read the article FAF and automatically calculated time and distance line items.