Quick start guide
We have a great double-sided PDF to help you to get started with your Android Phone. Click here if you want to download and print the PDF: Get started with the vWork mobile app for Android
Getting started video
In this article
This article describes the main areas of the vWork Android app that you will use to complete and manage jobs on your phone. If you have an iPhone see the article: iPhone App Basics.
- Log in screen: log into the vWork app
- The Jobs List
- Accept, decline, reassign, reschedule and pause jobs
- Steps tab: how to complete job steps
- Fields: how to complete job fields
- Use the Map
- Create a Job invoice
- Create and send reports including an invoice
- Add a customer signature and photo
- Create a Job
Log in screen: log into the vWork app
Log in using email and a password
To log in to the Android vWork App:
- Ensure yo have downloaded the vWork app from the Google Playstore.
- Open the vWork app.
- Sign in with the email and password you use to access vWork (your vWork Administrator can give these to you).
Log in with a QR Code
Alternatively, you can also tap the QR icon to log in with a QR Code (if this has been set up). You can learn how to do this in the article: How do I log in to the mobile app with a QR code or barcode?
Android app settings for vWork
The menu in the top right of the login screen opens the settings where you can customize how the vWork app works with your phone settings. The settings you select can adjust how long your phone's battery lasts between charges.
The Jobs list
When you have logged in you will see the Jobs list screen. This is the main page that you use to keep track of your assigned jobs and open jobs. It shows the jobs assigned to you and what stage they are at. You can Accept or Decline a job here if this is a feature your organization uses.
Note: To get back to the Jobs list from another screen, use the back button on your phone.
How can I tell how far through a job is?
You can easily see how far through each job is by looking at the circle icon next to each job.
The Job is ready for you to Accept or Decline it.
The job is ready for you to start the first step.
The job is part way through.
The job is completed.
Shift off and shift on
You can Shift on and Shift off from the Job list screen (if enabled).
To find our more about this see the article: How do I set my Shift Availability on my Android Device?
The Jobs list menu bar
The red menu bar at the top of the Jobs list screen is where you can access some other features in the vWork app including:
- the vWork settings and features menu
- quick access to the Main Map and Calendar
- Search - to search for a job
- Messages - to access messages sent trough the vWork app
- specific job list views by time. This includes: all, today, tomorrow, and the next 7 days.
vWork settings and features menu
To open the vWork settings and features menu tap from the Jobs list screen.
This menu is where you can open some of the other app features including:
- Create a new job (if enabled).
- Open the main Job Map which gives you a view of all jobs assigned to you.
Note: This is different from the Map tab where you interact with a single job that you are currently working on.
- Open your vWork messages. (These can also be opened from the messages speech bubble icon on the Jobs list menu bar.)
- Sync your Activity to ensure you and the vWork dispatcher both have the latest job information.
In addition you can access the vWork app settings from this menu. These are the same settings that you can access from Log in screen.
Accept, decline, reassign, reschedule and pause jobs
If your administrator has enabled it you will be able to accept, decline, pause, reassign or reschedule jobs from either the Jobs list or the Details tab.
Accept or decline from the Jobs List
You can accept and decline jobs from the Jobs List.
To accept or decline a job:
- Tap Accept Job to add it to your Jobs list in your app
- Tap Decline Job and select a reason for decline from the list of options. The dispatcher is notified with the reason you have selected and the job is removed from your Jobs List.
Accept or decline from the Details tab
The Details tab provides another place where you can accept or decline a job. It shows more information specific to the job so that you can make a more informed decision before you accept or decline.
To open the Details tab and accept or decline a job:
- Tap anywhere on the job bar in the Jobs list to open the Details tab.
- Tap the corresponding button to accept or decline.
If you choose decline select a reason for decline from the list of options. The dispatcher is notified with the reason you have selected and the job is removed from your Jobs List.
How to reassign, reschedule or pause a job
The Details tab has the Job Options menu. The Job Options menu enables you to reassign the job to another worker, reschedule the job for a later time or even decline a job after you have accepted it.
Note: Once a Job has begun the option to rechschedule is removed from the Job Options menu and a new option, Pause, shows in this menu.
To reassign, reschedule, decline, or pause a job:
- Tap the three dots to display the Job Options menu.
- Select Decline job, Reassign, or Reschedule (or Pause if you have started the job). Each of these options opens another menu with further options.
- Decline job: tap this to select a reason for declining the job. The dispatcher is notified so they can reassign the job to another worker.
- Reassign: tap this to choose another worker for the Job. The job is assigned to that worker and the dispatcher will see this on the schedule.
- Reschedule: This option is availble before the job has started. Tap this to schedule a new start time for the Job. The job will remain assigned to you with the start-time you assign.
- Pause: This option is only avalable once you have started the job. Tap this to pause the job. This displays the job as Paused under the job title in the Details tab, also on the Job bar in the Jobs List and the dispatcher also sees the job in a paused state. To unpause a job tap the Unpause button in the Details tab.
Steps tab: how to complete job steps
After you have accepted a job you can view and complete jobs steps in the Steps tab. Job steps are sequential list of actions that must be taken to complete a job.
How to open the Steps tab
Open the Steps tab to view and complete job steps. There are two ways you can do this:
- Tap into the Steps tab in the red menu bar to open the steps for the job, OR
- Tap the Step bar in the Details tab (as shown in this picture) to open the Steps tab.
Note: As you complete each step the STEP x/n progresses to show you which step you are at in the job. In this example, you are at Step 1 of 3. This shows as STEP1/3. Once you have completed Step 1 and progressed to Step 2, this will show STEP 2/3.
How to complete a step
Steps are completed in the Steps tab. The step that you are working on has a teal background color.
To complete a step:
- Tap the step. The teal background color will move to the next step as this becomes the active step. The step you tapped changes background to Grey and is now complete. Steps that are still to be started have a White background.
As you complete the steps the dispatcher sees your progress in the vWork app on their computer. When all steps are complete the job is complete.
If you need to go back and reverse the step completion, hold your finger on the step to un-complete it.
Note: before you tap to complete a step make sure you have completed all the Fields for that step.
Fields: how to complete job fields
Open the Fields page to view more detailed information about the job and to capture information that relates to a job and job steps.
How to open the Fields tab
There are two ways you can open the Fields tab:
- Tap into the Fields tab in the red menu bar to open the fields for the job, OR
- Tap anywhere in the Field bar on the Details tab (as shown in this picture).
Note: The Fields bar will show you how many fields the job has and how many of these you have completed. In this example, you have completed 0 of 4 fields (0/4 Completed) as is shown in the green area.
Types of Fields
There are several different kinds of fields, for example; signatures, photos, picklists, dates and times, numbers and notes.
Fields will also be one of the following types which defines what you can do with the field:
- Read-only: These are shown in White. They provide information about the job and cannot be completed.
- Optional: These are also shown in White. It is optional to complete these. Complete them if the information is needed for the job. You don't need to do anything with them if the information is not needed.
- Required: these are shown in Red. Required fields must be completed.
How to complete a field
Sometimes job templates separate fields into sections. Where this is used section headings have a Grey background. Fields in a section will not show if the section is collapsed.
To open a section:
- tap to display the fields in that section and make them available to be actioned.
Note: Only the section you have open will display fields. The other sections will collapse to hide the sections in them when you open a section.
To complete a field:
- Tap in the field to open it.
- Complete the field as required by the field type (add a signature, select from a list of options, enter text, etc).
In this example, when the driver opened the Customer Signature field the customer signed their name on the phone's screen. The driver entered the customer's name beneath the signature using an onscreen keyboard. In the Photo field, the phone's camera was activated and the driver took a photo of the delivered parcel.
Use the Map
In the Map tab you can interact with the job and navigate to it. This only shows the current job on the map.
Note: This Map tab is different from the Job Map option in the main menu. The Map tab only shows details for the job you are working on. It doesn't show information for other jobs. If you want to see all jobs assigned to you go to the Job Map found in the main menu.
Open the Map for the job
To use the Map:
- Tap the Map tab to open it.
Tap the buttons to the right of the map to find your location on the map, get a satellite view, see traffic conditions, and zoom in on the current job.
Your location is shown as a circle icon and the job is shown as a triangle icon:
Your location The job
Navigate to the job
Tap the job icon to:
- See the active step address, and
- Navigate to the step address from your current location.
The Navigate function opens the Map Navigation system set as the default in your phone's settings; this is most likely to be Google Maps. This is used to navigate to the step address.
Other options for Navigation
You can also tap the menu to from the Step information of open other options for naviation.
To view other navigation options:
- Tap the job icon
- Tap the Navigation options menu to open other Navigation options.
Create a Job invoice
The Invoice tab is where you update the invoice details (if your organization uses this feature).
To update the Invoice:
- Tap the Invoice tab to open it.
- Tap the pencil icon to add a description to the invoice.
- Tap an item to edit it.
- Tap to add a new item to the invoice.
Create and send reports including an invoice
You can download and send reports, such as the Invoice, from the Details tab.
To do this:
- Tap the Details tab in the red Menu bar.
- Tap the Reports button to display a list of actions.
- Tap to select the action you want from the list.
Add a customer signature and photo
In the Details tab you can capture a customer's signature and a photo as proof of delivery.
Note: Sometimes Jobs also have proof of delivery as a signature and photo set up as a custom field in the Fields tab. When there is a custom field to capture a signature you would use the custom field in place of the Sign +Photo field on the Details tab.
To capture a signature or photo:
- Tap the Signature button to open the Signature screen.
- Have the customer sign their name next to the X. They can use their finger or a stylus (if your phone has one) to do this.
- Tap the line labeled Name, under the customer's signature, and enter the customer's name.
- You can also take a photo by tapping the photo icon found in the menu at the top of the screen.
- Tap the white checkmark to confirm the Signature and Photo when you are done.
Create a Job
If your administrator has enabled it you will be able create new jobs on your phone from either the Jobs list.
Note: You can use your phone's back button to return to the Jobs list at any time. You may need to go back through more than one level to return to the Jobs list.
To create a new job:
- Make sure you are in the Jobs list.
- Tap to open the menu where you can select the template you want to create the new job from.
- In the menu tap the Search field to display a list of Job templates.
- Fill out the details for the job then tap the checkmark at the top right of the template to create the job.