Quick start guide
Getting started video
In this article
This article describes the main areas of the vWork Android app that you will use to complete and manage jobs on your phone. If you have an iPhone see the article: iPhone App Basics.
- Sign in to the vWork app
- Android app settings for vWork
- The Jobs screen
- Shift off and shift on
- vWork Menu
- Accept and Decline a job
- Reassign, reschedule, and pause jobs
- Complete job steps
- Complete job fields
- Use the Map
- Create a Job invoice
- Create and send reports including an invoice
- Add a customer signature and photo
- Create a Job
Sign in to the vWork app
You can sign in to the Android vWork mobile app using your email address and a password, or using a QR Code. The article, Android: Sign into and out of the vWork Android app, explains these different approaches.
Your dispatcher can also send you an SMS message with a link that automatically signs you in.
Android app settings for vWork
The menu in the top right of the Sign In screen opens the settings where you can customize how the vWork app works with your phone settings.
You can also access the settings from the Jobs screen. Click to open the vWork menu, then select Settings.
The settings you select can adjust how long your phone's battery lasts between charges. You can learn all about the Android settings in this section of our online help: Android vWork mobile app settings.
The Jobs screen
When you sign in to the Android vWork mobile app you see the Jobs screen. This is the home screen for the app and is the place where you track your assigned jobs.
The Jobs screen lists the jobs assigned to you and shows you how much of each job is completed. You can Accept or Decline a job here when this option is enabled by your vWork administrator. You can also open the vWork Menu, messages, and each Job from here, and search for a job assigned to you.
Note: To get back to the Jobs screen from another screen, use the back button on your phone.
The article, Android: using the Jobs screen, explains how to use all the features on this screen and track your job progress.
Shift off and shift on
You can Shift on and Shift off from the Job list screen (if enabled).
To find out more about this see the article: Android: set my shift status to 'On Shift' or 'Off Shift'
The vWork menu allows you to customize your vWork settings, sign out of the app, manage your sync activity to ensure you and your dispatcher have the latest information and view the version of the vWork app that you are using.
You can find out more about these things in the following online help locations and articles:
- Android vWork mobile app settings is a help section that explains every setting in the Android version of the vWork mobile app.
- Android: sync vWork mobile app job information with the vWork server is useful to read if you find your job data information s not staying up to date with what your dispatcher sees.
Accept and Decline a job
If you vWork Administrator has enabled it, jobs published to your mobile app must be accepted by your to add them to your schedule, or declined by you and removed from your mobile app. You can read about Accept and Decline of jobs on the Android vWork mobile app in the article: Android: Accept or Decline a job.
Reassign, reschedule, and pause jobs
If your administrator has enabled it you will be able to 'Reassign' or 'Reschedule' jobs from a job's Details screen.
The Details screen has a menu where you can select what you want to do with a job. This enables you to reassign the job to another worker, reschedule the job for a later time, pause a job, or even decline a job after you have accepted it.
- Decline job: tap this to select a reason for declining the job. The dispatcher is notified so they can reassign the job to another worker.
- Reassign: tap this to choose another worker for the Job. The job is assigned to that worker and the dispatcher will see this on the schedule.
- Reschedule: This option is available before the job has started. Tap this to schedule a new start time for the Job. The job will remain assigned to you with the start-time you assign.
- Pause: This option is only available once you have started the job. Tap this to pause the job. This displays the job as Paused under the job title in the Details screen, next to the Job information in the Jobs screen, and the dispatcher also sees the job in a paused state on the web app. To unpause a job tap the 'Unpause' button in the Details screen.
Note: Once a Job has begun the option to reschedule is removed from the job management options menu and a new option, Pause, shows in this menu.
These online help articles explain how to reassign, reschedule and pause a job in the Android vWork mobile app:
- Read how to Reassign a job in the article, Android: reassign a job to another worker
- Read how to Pause a job in the article, Android: pause a job in the vWork mobile app
- Read how to reschedule a jon in the article,Android: reschedule a job
Complete job steps
After you have accepted a job you can view and complete jobs steps in the Steps screen. Job steps are a sequential list of actions that must be taken to complete a job.
You can read all about how to use the steps screen in the article, Android: complete job steps in the mobile app.
Complete job fields
Open the Fields screen to view more detailed information about the job and to capture information that relates to a job and job steps. Completing and using job fields is explained in the article, Android: complete job fields in the mobile app.
Use the Map
In the Map screen you can interact with the job and navigate to it. This only shows the current job on the map.
Note: This Map screen is different from the Job Map option in the main menu. The Map screen only shows details for the job you are working on. It doesn't show information for other jobs. If you want to see all jobs assigned to you go to the Job Map found in the main menu.
Open the Map for the job
To use the Map:
- Tap the Map screen to open it.
Tap the buttons to the right of the map to find your location on the map, get a satellite view, see traffic conditions, and zoom in on the current job.
Your location is shown as a circle icon and the job is shown as a triangle icon:
Your location The job
Navigate to the job
Tap the job icon to:
- See the active step address, and
- Navigate to the step address from your current location.
The Navigate function opens the Map Navigation system set as the default in your phone's settings; this is most likely to be Google Maps. This is used to navigate to the step address.
Other options for Navigation
You can also tap the menu from the Step information to open other options for navigation.
To view other navigation options:
- Tap the job icon
- Tap the Navigation options menu to open other Navigation options.
Create a Job invoice
The Invoice screen is where you update the invoice details (if your organization uses this feature).
You can learn more about updating, downloading and emailing invoices in the article Android: create and send an Invoice or Status report.
Send an invoice or job status report
You can download and send an Invoice or a job Status Report, from the Details screen. YOu can learn more about this in the article, Android: create and send an Invoice or Status report.
Add a customer signature and photo
In the Details screen you can capture a customer's signature and a photo as proof of delivery.
Note: Sometimes Jobs also have proof of delivery as a signature and photo set up as a custom field in the Fields screen. When there is a custom field to capture a signature you would use the custom field in place of the Sign +Photo field on the Details screen.
To capture a signature or photo:
- Tap the Signature button to open the Signature screen.
- Have the customer sign their name next to the X. They can use their finger or a stylus (if your phone has one) to do this.
- Tap the line labeled Name, under the customer's signature, and enter the customer's name.
- You can also take a photo by tapping the photo icon found in the menu at the top of the screen.
- Tap the white checkmark to confirm the Signature and Photo when you are done.
Create a Job
If your administrator has enabled it you will be able to create new jobs from Android mobile app. This is explained fully in the article, Android: create a job in the vWork mobile app.