What is a CSV File?
A CSV is a comma separated values file, which allows data to be saved in a table structured format. CSVs look like a garden-variety spreadsheet but with a .csv extension (Traditionally they take the form of a text file containing information separated by commas, hence the name). CSV files can be used with any spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel, Open Office Calc, or Google Spreadsheets. They differ from other spreadsheet file types in that you can only have a single sheet in a file, they can not save cell, column, or row styling, and can not save forumlas.
Saving your spreadsheet as a CSV
|Please Note: These instructions are for Microsoft Excel 2010, but any spreadsheet software will follow a similar process.|
1. Open your file in your spreadsheet program.
2. Click on File and choose Save As.
3. Under Save as type, choose CSV (Comma delimited). Click Save.
4. You may see a message that your file "may contain features that are not compatible with CSV". Click Yes to continue. This message is to inform you that any formatting you may have (such as colors or bold text) and any formulas will not be preserved in the CSV formatted file.
Prepare your CSV for Import
If you are creating a new CSV file for import, or importing from another app. Use the below default optional columns or similar names so it is easy to match:
|Customer Import||Jobs Import|
|Customer Name||Job 3rd party ID (if required)|
|Customer 3rd party ID||Customer Name|
|Customer Notes||Workers email address|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact first name||Start time|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact last name||All steps from the selected template|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact phone||All Custom fields from selected template|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact mobile|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact email|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact fax|
|Delivery and/or Billing contact formatted address|
Importing your CSV into vWork
There are a few things to note when importing your CSV file into vWork:
2. Does your CSV file have headers on the columns as below ?
3. What CSV columns match to what vWork fields
Additional CSV tips.
A handy thing to try is to manually add a customer to your vWork account, then export your customer to a CSV file with the below button.
This way you can open the export CSV file, then type or paste in your new customers.
You will also get a good idea what a CSV import file looks like, plus have a template to use.