3 Way SMS Messaging is an optional enhancement to standard SMS Customer Alerts. If you want to find out more, or add this feature to your vWork account, please email support@vWorkapp.com. A member of the vWork Team will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
The topics in this article include:
- What is 3 Way SMS Messaging
- Dispatcher: viewing and responding to SMS messages
- Mobile worker: viewing and responding to SMS messages
- How do I set up 3 Way SMS Messaging
What is 3 Way SMS Messaging?
3 Way SMS Messaging is an optional enhancement to standard SMS Customer Alerts. This enhancement enables your customers to send a return SMS message to both the Worker and Dispatcher, in real-time, in reply to an SMS Alert. It also lets the Dispatcher send SMS Messages directly to the customer.
3 Way SMS Messaging ensures the worker and dispatcher can make quick decisions about jobs and the worker’s schedule, and work with customers to manage their expectations, when a planned delivery has changes. This saves time, minimizes disruptions, and improves the customer experience.
Dispatcher: viewing and responding to SMS messages
Where does the Dispatcher view the messages?
All customer messages show in the Job under the Customer Message tab. This tab is only visible when an SMS Alert has been sent to a customer.
How does the Dispatcher send a message?
The Dispatcher can send messages to both the Worker and the Customer from the Customer Messages Tab in the Job.
To reply; under Send Message in the Customer Messages Tab:
- Select the Recipient (Customer contact or Worker) from the drop down list.
- Type a message in the Contents field.
- Click Submit
What messages can the Customer, Worker and Dispatcher see?
If the Dispatcher sends a message to the Worker, only the Worker and Dispatcher will see it. It will display in the Worker’s vWork App on their phone.
If the Dispatcher sends a message to the Customer, the Customer, Worker and Dispatcher, will all see the message. The Customer will receive the message as an SMS message on their phone. It will continue the message thread from the original SMS Message Alert to the customer.
Mobile worker: viewing and responding to SMS messages
Receiving a message
The Mobile Worker receives the message on the Mobile App in their messages as an Alert under the job number. The Messaging icon will show there is a new message.
To open the message in the Mobile App:
- Tap the Messaging Icon
(You can do this through the Jobs list or in the Job itself).
- Tap the Alert associated with the Job number to open the message and all other messages associated with the job.
Responding to a message
The Worker cannot reply directly to the customer yet (this is on the way). However they can send a message to the Dispatcher who can then pass this to the customer through the Customer Message Tab.
To send a message to the Dispatcher; in the Mobile App:
- Type a response in the Send area at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Send.
How do I set up 3 Way SMS Messaging
To set up 3 Way SMS Messaging you will:
- Set User Permissions
- Set up a customer SMS Alert
1. Set User Permissions
To enable 3 Way SMS Messaging (or any other messaging) in vWork you must set the User Permissions. You must set these for every worker who will need the 3 Way SMS ability as part of their job. This includes Dispatchers and Mobile Workers.
You set User Permissions in Settings > Users > Users.
To set User Permissions:
- Select the User you want to set the permissions for from the User Management list.
- Scroll to User Permissions.
- Check the Chat box.
- Click Update at the bottom of the page.
2. Set up a customer SMS Alert
3 Way SMS Messaging is activated with a customer SMS Alert.
To set up 3 Way SMS Messaging you will set up a customer SMS Alert for the Job Template you would like to trigger the SMS Alert for. You can do that in Alerts > Setup.
To do this:
Scroll down the Alert setup page until you find Who Should We Notify by SMS?. Check the checkbox next to one of the customer contact options:
- Send to Customer’s Site Contact, or
- Send to Customer’s Billing Contact, or
- Adhoc SMS Recipient (This is only for some types of Alerts. You can use this option to add the customer’s phone number if this is required).
- Click Update to save this Alert.
To learn more about setting Alerts, the article How do I set up an Alert explains how to do this.