vWork enables automatic charging of worker and equipment hours
vWork can automatically calculate your worker and equipment hours by job and use this information to add these as line items to your invoice.
vWork has 2 features that calculate and add worker and equipment hours:
- the default setting lets you set a standard hourly rate that applies to all workers and equipment across your account. The process for doing this is explained below.
- the optional feature enables you to charge a different hourly rate for each worker and item of equipment. This is explained in the article How can I set up individual charge-out rates for Users and Equipment?. To enable this please email email@example.com to find out more or have this enabled in your account.
Why use automatic worker or equipment hours on invoices?
This feature saves you time and effort. It removes the need for manual calculations and reconciliations. You are able to accurately invoice your clients for the hours your workers and equipment are on a job. You can also easily and accurately report on worker hours for the purpose of reconciliation.
How do I enable automatic worker and equipment hours on an invoice?
The steps given below explain how to add an hourly rate for all workers and equipment using the default vWork settings. This applies one standard rate for all workers and equipment.
Charge out workers and equipment at a standard hourly rate
To automatically add a standard hourly rate that applies to all your workers and equipment, first enable this in your account Invoicing settings and enter an hourly rate.
- Go to Settings > Finance > Invoicing. Scroll down to the Worker Hours Calculator section.
- Check the box Auto add to invoice? to generate worker hours as a line item on your invoice.
- Check the box Always update if you want the number of hours charged to change if you need to re-open a completed job and do more hours. For example, a job started at 3 pm and completed at 4 pm. Then the job was re-opened and closed again at 5 pm. If this box was left unchecked the invoice would show 1 hour was worked, but if it was checked 2 hours would show on the invoice.
- Enter the hourly Worker rate you want to charge your workers out at. In this example, it is $55 per hour.
How does it work?
When a job is completed, vWork will calculate the elapsed time spent on the job. This is the elapsed time between the first and last step, less time where the job is paused. The elapsed time is automatically multiplied with the hourly rate you specified and added to the job as an invoice line item.
Charge hours at different rates
You can also set different hourly rates for individual workers and equipment. This is an optional feature and is explained in the article How can I set up individual charge-out rates for Users and Equipment? If you want to find out more about this option, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. A vWork team member will be in touch to discuss your requirements.