A pricebook contains a pre-defined list of items that can be added to invoices as line items. Each pricebook can have up to 2000 items. Each item has a short code, description, and price. Your vWork account can have as many pricebooks as you want.
Pricebooks are a standard feature of vWork and are enabled when you enable invoicing in the Finance settings on your vWork account.
In this article
Benefits of using pricebooks
Pricebooks enable dispatchers or mobile workers to easily select an invoice line item and apply this to a job. This ensures accuracy and consistency and simplifies the process of creating invoice information. It is not necessary to use pricebooks for your invoices but they do offer several advantages:
- Items in the pricebook are already priced and accurately describe standardized invoice information.
- To automatically generate invoice information, a dispatcher or mobile worker only needs to select the relevant items from the pricebook and update the quantity of that item used. This speeds up and simplifies the process of creating the invoice information.
- Invoices are easily updated at the time the job is done, instantly generating accurate invoice information - no relying on worker memory or pieces of paper.
How do pricebooks work?
Standard pricebooks are added to job templates. You can use one pricebook for many templates but each template must only have one pricebook added to it. Once added to a template, items from the pricebook are easily added as line items to the invoice information:
- in the template
- in the job, at the time it is created
- in the job, at the time it is being completed.
Standard pricebooks that add a pricebook to a template are the default in vWork. We also provide an optional feature that enables a pricebook to be added to a customer. To read more about this optional feature please see the article: What is a Customer Pricebook?
How do I start using pricebooks?
There are two steps required to use pricebooks in vWork:
- Add the pricebook to vWork. To learn how to do this please read the article: How do I create and edit pricebooks?.
- Add a pricebook to a job template or customer. To learn how to do this please see the article: How do I add a pricebook to a template or a customer?.