Fuel Adjustment Factor (FAF) is an optional feature in vWork. FAF is a percentage-based surcharge that is added to transportation line items in an invoice. It is used to make allowance for variations in fuel costs without needing to adjust base transportation rates.
The article What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor? explains what FAF is in more detail.
In this article:
This article explains how to enable FAF in your account, and then apply it to transportation-related line items in invoices for job templates and jobs. The topics in this article include:
- Enable FAF and add the FAF surcharge rate in the Finance Settings
- Add FAF to invoice line items in a job template
- Add and remove FAF from line times in a job
- How do I add FAF to automatically generated hours and mileage?
Enable FAF and add the FAF surcharge rate in the Finance Settings
- Go to Settings > Finance > Invoicing and scroll to Fuel Adjustment Factor.
- Click the checkbox for FAF enabled to add a checkmark and enable FAF in your Finance Settings.
- Click FAF rate % and enter the FAF percentage rate that you want to apply to line items in your invoices.
Note: The FAF rate can only be changed by a User with Admin permissions.
- Click Save.
Note: Future updates to the FAF rate change the surcharge in open and future jobs. The surcharge doesn’t change for canceled and completed jobs.
Add FAF to invoice line items in a job template
FAF is very flexible, giving you complete control over which invoice line items it applies to. FAF can be added to line items at the template level and at an individual job level. If FAF is added at the template level you can still choose to remove it for individual line items for a specific job.
To add FAF to a job template:
- Create or open a template.
- Go to the Invoicing tab and click Click here to enable invoicing for this template if invoicing isn't already enabled.
- Add the line items you want to have saved with your template and then click to add a checkmark in the FAF checkbox for each line item that you want the FAF surcharge applied to.
Note: When you add a checkmark in the FAF checkbox to a line item, a new FAF line item is automatically added. It shows the FAF component on the invoice. This line item can’t be edited. It is automatically updated in the job as invoice information is added to the job.
- Click Create or Update to save the template.
Add and remove FAF from line items in a job
If you have added FAF to a line item on a template, it is calculated for that line item when the quantity is updated in the job. You can still disable and enable FAF for an existing line item when you create or update a job.
To add and remove the FAF surcharge from line items in a job:
- Go to the Invoicing tab on the job.
- Click the FAF checkbox:
- if the checkbox is empty when you click it, a checkmark is added and the FAF surcharge will apply to that line item.
- If the checkbox is checked when you click it, the checkmark is removed and the FAF surcharge will not apply to that line item.
In this example, FAF is applied to the first line item and is excluded from the second line item.
How do I add FAF to automatically generated hours and mileage?
You can manually add FAF to automatically added line items for hourly and mileage rates that apply to users and equipment.
To add FAF to automatically generated line items that show mileage and hours:
- Make sure the final step on the job is completed to enable the automatic generation of mileage and hours as line items in the invoice.
- Open the job and go to the Invoicing tab.
- Click the FAF checkbox to insert a checkmark and add FAF to the automatically generated line items.
If you want to find out more about automatically generating worker and equipment hours and mileage as line items on your invoices please read these articles: