In this article
- Permission to Create New Customers
- Add a new Customer from the Customers page
- Add a New Customer from the Jobs Screen
- Bulk import customers
Permission to Create New Customers
Only Administrators and Dispatchers with the Customers permission enabled are able to create new customers. If these permissions are not enabled they are only able to use existing customer records when creating jobs.
Customer permissions are set in the User Permissions for a User. Go to Settings>Users>Users.
In the example below, Nora is able to create new customers, while Anthony will only be able to select from existing customers.
To turn on the user permission to add customers:
- Go to Settings>Users>Users
- Click to select the user you want to add this permission to from the User Management list.
- Scroll to the User Permissions section.
- Under the Custs. field select Full from the options.
Add a new Customer from the Customers page
You can add a new customer from the Customers page.
You add the customer's information in the Create Customer page.
- Enter the Name for the customer.
- The ID field will automatically generate a unique customer ID when you save the customer's information. You can also enter your own ID into this field if you prefer.
- Use the Notes field to make any special notes about this customer.
- In the Customer Site Contact area complete all the details for the main contact person.
Note: vWork uses a Geocoded address to show the address on a map. When an address has a geocode it will show a green tick next to the address. As you begin typing the customer's Site Address a drop-down list of potential addresses displays. Click to select the address from this list to ensure it is geocoded.
- Next, complete the Customer Billing Information.
Note: You can copy the details from the Customer Site Contact fields across to the Customer Billing Contact fields if you want using the Copy button. Edit any fields you want to change after copying the fields across.
- Click Create to save the new customer.
Add a New Customer from the Jobs page
If you have permission, you can also create a new customer when creating a new job. When you create a job enter the customer's details in the blank customer fields. When the job is saved the customer is created and can be viewed and edited in the Customers page.
Note: Be careful doing this. If you enter an existing customer's name, you will end up updating the existing customer's details rather than creating a new customer.
Bulk import customers
You can also import your existing customer using a .CSV file. The article Bulk Importing Customers explains this in more detail.