The standard vWork pricebook feature enables you to add a pricebook to a job template. Customer pricebooks are the same but instead of being added to a template, the customer pricebook is added to the customer in their customer record.
Customer pricebooks is an optional feature in vWork. If you want to learn more about this feature or add it to your vWork account, please contact email@example.com. One of our team will be in touch to talk with you about your requirements.
In this article
This article explains how to create new pricebooks and edit existing pricebooks.
- Create a pricebook
- Edit and delete pricebooks
- Related articles
Create a pricebook
The process to create a pricebook has two steps:
- Create a pricebook CSV file.
- Import the data from the pricebook CSV file and match the data from the CSV file to the corresponding fields in vWork.
This process applies to both standard and customer pricebooks.
Create a pricebook CSV file
Pricebooks are added to your vWork account by importing data from a CSV file.
💡Tip: You can find out how to prepare a Pricebook import CSV file in the article, Prepare a CSV file to import data into vWork.
A pricebook contains three pieces of data for each line item. These are the: Code, Description, and Price. When you set up the pricebook CSV file you only need these three columns of data. It is helpful to label the columns that have the code, description, and price with their corresponding headings. This makes it easier to match the data to the fields in vWork.
Here is an example:
🔔 Note: If you have the optional FAF (Fuel Adjustment Factor) feature added to vWork, you can also enable FAF for pricebook line-items. This requires you to add an additional column if you want to set line-items as enabled when you import your pricebook. You can read more about this in the article, Enable FAF for line items in a pricebook.
Import the data from the pricebook CSV file
Pricebooks are saved in vWork in the Finance settings under the Pricebook page. To create a new pricebook you will import from the CSV file and match the data to the corresponding fields in vWork.
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks to open the Pricebook list.
- Click Create New Pricebook to open the Add Pricebook page.
- In the Name and Description fields enter a name for your pricebook and give it a brief description.
- Click Choose a CSV to import, then browse for and select your pricebook CSV file.
- If you have column headings in your CSV file, click to add a checkmark in the checkbox next to My CSV has a header row.
- Click Start Matching to open the matching page.
- Drag and drop the CSV fields from the Available CSV Fields column to the corresponding areas in the vWork Pricebook Fields column.
The field in the vWork Pricebook Fields column turns green when the field has been dragged across.
Tip: if you drag to the wrong field you can click the x in the top right-hand corner of the field to remove it.
- Once all the fields have been matched, click Import Pricebook to start matching the fields from the CSV pricebook file to the new pricebook in vWork.
- A warning shows how many fields you are mapping. If you are confident you have mapped the fields correctly click Accept to continue importing the pricebook data from the CSV file.
The new pricebook is added to the pricebook list. You can now associate it with a template and/or a customer record (if you have customer pricebooks enabled on your account.) For more information about this please read the articles: How do I add a pricebook to a template or a customer?
Edit and delete pricebooks
There are several ways you can manage your pricebooks as things change to keep them up-to-date.
- edit line items in a pricebook,
- overwrite an existing pricebook with updated information, and
- delete a pricebook that is no longer required.
We describe these processes in the following paragraphs.
Edit line items in a pricebook
You can edit individual items in a pricebook to update their code, description and price.
To edit existing line items in a pricebook in vWork as prices and descriptions change:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to edit.
- In the pricebook find the line item that you want to update and click the Edit button.
- Make the changes you want then click Save.
🔔Note: The X button exits the line item without accepting changes that have been made.
- Click Update to save the changes to the pricebook.
🔔Note: When wanting to include changes from updated pricebooks in jobs that were created before the change to the pricebook please keep in mind the following:
- Changes you make to a line item in a pricebook won't update line items already added to a job. You can delete these line items and add them back to the job invoice to include the updated pricebook information.
- You can add a new pricebook line item from the updated pricebook to an existing job.
We explain how to add a new line item to a pricebook in the next topic.
- If you are sending your vWork generated invoices to other software, such as Xero, Quickbooks, and MYOB, be aware that once uploaded to the software changes in the vWork invoice aren't reflected in those packages (unless the invoice is still in draft in Xero).
Export and re-import a pricebook with updated data
If you want to add new items or delete existing items from a pricebook you can do this by exporting the pricebook, updating it, and re-importing it. Re-imported pricebooks overwrite the data from the original pricebook. You can also update existing line item information when you export and re-import a picebook.
To export a pricebook:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to export.
- Click the Export Pricebook to CSV button at the bottom of the page. The pricebook is exported as a .CSV file to your computer’s downloads area.
To re-import the updated pricebook:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to update.
- Follow the steps for creating a new pricebook given above from the point where you choose a .CSV file to import.
Delete a pricebook
You can only delete a pricebook if it is not in use. You can see if it is being used on the Pricebooks page in the Finance settings. The templates are listed in the Is Used by column.
🔔Important: Before deleting a pricebook make sure that it is no longer associated with a job template or any uncompleted jobs. If the pricebook is associated with these we show a warning at the bottom of the pricebooks page advising the pricebook can't be deleted.
To delete a pricebook:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to delete.
- Click the Delete Pricebook button at the button of the page.
You might also like to read these articles:
- Use a pricebook to manage invoice line items explains what pricebooks are used for and their benefits.
- What is a customer pricebook? explains why you might want to use a customer specific pricebook instead of the standard pricebooks.
- Invoicing with vWork explains how to enable invoicing in your vWork account.
- Enable FAF for line items in a pricebook explains how to set up and use FAF enabled Pricebook line items.