The standard vWork pricebook feature enables you to add a pricebook to a job template. Customer pricebooks are the same but instead of being added to a template, the customer pricebook is added to the customer in their customer record.
Customer pricebooks is an optional feature in vWork. If you want to learn more about this feature or add it to your vWork account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our team will be in touch to talk with you about your requirements.
You might also like to read these pricebook articles:
To learn how to enable invoicing in your vWork account, please read the article: Invoicing with vWork.
In this article
This article explains how to:
Create a pricebook
The process to create a pricebook has two steps:
- Create a pricebook CSV file.
- Import the data from the pricebook CSV file and match the data from the CSV file to the corresponding fields in vWork.
This process applies to both standard and customer pricebooks.
Create a pricebook CSV file
Pricebooks are added to your vWork account by importing data from a CSV file. To find out more about CSV files please see the article: Working with and importing with CSV files.
A pricebook contains three pieces of data for each line item. These are the: Code, Description, and Price. When you set up the pricebook CSV file you only need these three columns of data. It is helpful to label the columns that have the code, description, and price with their corresponding headings. This makes it easier to match the data to the fields in vWork. Here is an example:
Import the data from the pricebook CSV file
Pricebooks are saved in vWork in the Finance settings under the Pricebook page. To create a new pricebook you will import from the CSV file and match the data to the corresponding fields in vWork.
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks to open the Pricebook list.
- Click Create New Pricebook to open the Add Pricebook page.
- In the Name and Description fields enter a name for your pricebook and give it a brief description.
- Click Choose a CSV to import, then browse for and select your pricebook CSV file.
- Click to add a checkmark in the checkbox next to My CSV has a header row if you have added headings to the Code, Description, and Price columns in your CSV file.
- Click Start Matching to open the matching page.
- Drag and drop the CSV fields from the Available CSV Fields column to the corresponding areas in the vWork Pricebook Fields column.
The field in the vWork Pricebook Fields column turns green when the field has been dragged to it.
Tip: if you drag to the wrong field you can click the x in the top right-hand corner of the field to remove it.
- Once all the fields have been matched, click Import Pricebook to start matching the fields from the CSV pricebook file to the new pricebook invWork.
- A warning shows how many fields you are mapping. If you are confident you have mapped the fields correctly click Accept to continue importing the pricebook data from the CSV file.
The new pricebook is added to the pricebook list. You can now associate it with a template and/or a customer record (if you have customer pricebooks enabled on your account.) For more information about this please read the articles: How do I add a pricebook to a template of a customer?
Edit and delete pricebooks
- edit line items in a pricebook,
- overwrite an existing pricebook with updated information by exporting it and reimporting it, and
- delete a pricebook that is no longer required.
These processes are described below.
Edit line items in a pricebook
You can edit existing line items in a pricebook in vWork.
Note: You can add new items and delete items in a pricebook by exporting the pricebook, updating it, and reimporting. This process is described later in this article.
Changes you make to a line item in a pricebook will not update for line items already added to a job. However, if you add a new line item from the updated pricebook the new line item will reflect the changes made.
To edit a line item:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to edit.
- In the pricebook find the line item that you want to update and click the Edit button.
- Make the changes you want then click Save.
Note: The X button exits the line item without accepting changes that have been made.
- Click Update to save the changes to the pricebook.
Export and reimport a pricebook
If you want to add new items or delete existing items from a pricebook you can do this by exporting the pricebook, updating it, and reimporting it. Reimported pricebooks overwrite the data from the original pricebook.
To export a pricebook:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to export.
- Click the Export Pricebook to CSV button at the bottom of the page. The pricebook is exported as a .CSV file to your computer’s downloads area.
To reimport the updated pricebook:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to update.
- Follow the steps for creating a new pricebook given above from the point where you choose a .CSV file to import.
Delete a pricebook
You can only delete a pricebook if it is not in use. You can see if it is being used on the Pricebooks page in the Finance settings. The templates are listed in the Is Used by column.
Before deleting a pricebook ensure that it is no longer associated with a job template or any uncompleted jobs. If the pricebook is associated with these you are warned at the bottom of the pricebook page that the pricebook cannot be deleted.
To delete a pricebook:
- Go to Settings >Finance >Pricebooks and open the pricebook you want to delete.
- Click the Delete Pricebook button at the button of the page.