vWork offers an optional invoicing feature known as FAF (Fuel Adjustment Factor). FAF is a percentage-based surcharge that is added to transportation line items in an invoice. The FAF feature in vWork makes it simple and easy for you to manage changes in fuel prices and reflect these variations in transportation line items in your customers’ invoices.
We explain vWork’s optional FAF feature in the article, What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor?
In this article
This article explains how to enable FAF in your vWork account and how to get the most from your FAF settings to best meet your organization’s needs.
- User permission
- Enable FAF and configure the default FAF settings
- Disable FAF
- Modify current FAF settings
- Related articles
Click the topic link above to go to that topic. You can return to this topic list by clicking this icon:
Only users with the Admin user permission in their user profile can access the Finance Settings to enable and configure the FAF rate and other FAF settings. Dispatchers and mobile app users without this permission can see FAF in job invoices, and dispatchers can easily apply FAF to line items, but they can’t adjust the FAF rate or disable FAF in the account.
Enable FAF and configure the default FAF settings
FAF is an optional feature in vWork and must be added to your account by our vWork team. If you don’t already have FAF added to your vWork account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this.
After adding FAF to your account, users with Admin permissions can enable and configure FAF in the FAF tab in the Finance settings.
To enable and configure FAF:
- Go to Settings > Finance > FAF.
- Click the checkbox Enable FAF to add a checkmark and make the FAF settings selectable.
- Configure how you want to manage FAF for automatically generated line items for hours and distance. These are optional settings.
Click to add a checkmark in the corresponding checkbox for FAF enabled for Worker Hours and FAF enabled for Distance to suit what works best for your situation.
When enabled, these settings calculate and add FAF to automatically generated invoice line items for time and distance.
🔔 Note: We provide more information about these optional settings in the article FAF and automatically calculated time and distance line items.
In this example, we enabled both optional settings; we clicked each checkbox to add a checkmark in the corresponding checkboxes.
- Add the Default FAF rate percent value that you want to use.
🔔 Note: This is applied as the FAF percent for all FAF-enabled invoice line items when there are no FAF customer-specific percent rates to override this default.
In this example, we set the Default FAF rate to 20%.
- Click to save the default FAF Finance settings.
If you no longer need the FAF rate applied to your invoices you can disable it for all job templates from the FAF Finance settings.
❗Important: When you disable FAF in the Finance settings, all FAF settings, including customized customer-specific FAF rates, are cleared. When you re-enable FAF you must reconfigure your FAF settings.
To disable FAF in your account:
- Go to Settings > Finance > FAF.
- Click the FAF Enabled checkbox to remove the checkmark.
- A warning displays asking you to confirm that you want to disable FAF and remove customer-specific rates set for your customers. Click OK to confirm.
- The FAF enabled checkbox is emptied and the FAF settings are cleared and grayed out to make them unable to be selected.
- Click to save the FAF Finance settings with FAF disabled.
Modify current FAF settings
❗ Important: While FAF settings can be adjusted to accommodate changing circumstances, this will impact the way FAF is applied to line items in open jobs to reflect the changes. An open job is any job that has been created but is not canceled or completed. If you have the 'Approve Invoice' feature enabled in your account, invoices for jobs that have been approved won't change.
To modify the current FAF settings:
- Follow the instructions for configuring the FAF settings shown in the topic Enable FAF and configure the default FAF settings above.
- Click to save the revised FAF Finance settings.
You’ll see a warning to remind you to save if you try to exit the page without saving your changes.
- To learn more about what FAF is in vWork and how your business can benefit from it, please read the article, What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor (FAF)?
- To learn how to create customer-specific FAF rates and apply these to selected customers, please read the article, Set customer-specific FAF rates for selected customers.
- To learn how to change the customer-specific rate assigned to a group of selected customers, restore the default rate for a customer, or delete a customer-specific rate, please see the article Change customer-specific FAF rates.
- To learn how to update a Pricebook so that selected line items automatically apply FAF when added to an invoice please read the article, Enable FAF for line items in a pricebook.
- To learn how to add FAF to line items in a job or job template and see how we calculate and apply FAF to an invoice please read the article, Apply FAF to invoice line items.
- To learn how FAF shows and can be edited for line-items in the vWork mobile app, please read the article, Edit invoices with FAF line-items using the vWork mobile app.
- To learn how FAF applies to automatically generated time and distance line items, please read the article FAF and automatically calculated time and distance line items.