vWork offers an optional invoicing feature known as FAF (Fuel Adjustment Factor). FAF is a percentage-based surcharge that is added to transportation line items in an invoice. The FAF feature in vWork makes it simple and easy for you to manage changes in fuel prices and reflect these variations in transportation line items in your customers’ invoices.
You can enable selected pricebook line items to automatically calculate and add the FAF rate to an invoice when these line items are added to the invoice.
We explain vWork’s optional FAF feature in the article, What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor?
In this article
This article explains how to enable FAF for selected line items in your pricebooks.
- Why would I enable the FAF rate for a line item in a pricebook?
- Prepare and import a CSV pricebook file to enable the FAF rate for selected line items
- Update a pricebook to add or remove the FAF rate for selected line items
- Related articles
Click the topic link above to go to that topic. You can return to this topic list by clicking this icon:
Why would I enable the FAF rate for a line item in a pricebook?
The FAF rate can be enabled for line items in both standard and customer pricebooks.
When you enable FAF for selected invoice line items within your pricebooks, FAF is automatically calculated and added for the selected line item when it is added to a job invoice. This removes the need to manually select the pricebook line item in the invoice and apply the FAF rate to it. This also ensures that mobile workers can apply FAF directly to the invoice when they add the FAF enabled pricebook line item. By enabling the FAF rate in the pricebook you’ll save time and improve consistency in how the FAF rate is applied to your invoices.
Prepare and import a CSV pricebook file to enable the FAF rate for selected line items
The article, Create and edit pricebooks, explains the process for importing a pricebook into vWork. We recommend you read this article to familiarize yourself with this process; it is the same process for importing a pricebook when FAF is enabled for specific line items. Read this topic to learn how to prepare you CSV file for FAF enabled line items and the how to match the FAF enabled line items when you import the file into vWork.
Define FAF enabled line items in the CSV pricebook file
When you want to import a CSV pricebook file into vWork that identifies specific line items as FAF enabled, you need to add an extra column to the standard pricebook CSV format. The standard CSV pricebook file has 3 columns for the ‘Code’, ‘Description’ and ‘Price’. To enable FAF for selected line items, add an extra column and call it ‘FAF Enabled’.
To enable FAF for selected pricebook line items, include a lowercase letter ‘t’ in the corresponding field in the new FAF enabled column to indicate that FAF enabled is ‘true’.
This is an example of what the CSV pricebook looks like with FAF enabled line items included.
Matching pricebook fields during the pricebook import
When you import the CSV pricebook file into vWork, and match the FAF enabled column to the vWork pricebook fields, the ‘t’ tells vWork to override the default and enable FAF for this line item.
Update a pricebook to add or remove the FAF rate for selected line items
When FAF is enabled in your account, your pricebooks include a FAF column. This is used to enable and disable FAF for selected line items. Line items that have FAF enabled display a blue checkbox with a checkmark in them.
Enable and disable FAF for selected line items
To enable or disable FAF for a selected line item:
- Go to Settings > Finance >Pricebooks.
- Find the pricebook that you want to enable FAF line items in and click to open it.
- On the line item where you want to change the FAF status, click . This makes the line item editable.
- Click the FAF checkbox to add or remove a checkmark, then click .
- Click to save the changes to the pricebook and return you to the Pricebook Finance settings.
- To learn more about what FAF is in vWork and how your business can benefit from it please read the article, What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor (FAF)?
- To learn how to enable FAF and set the FAF rate percentage to apply to automatically generated time and distance line items for completed jobs, please read the article, Enable FAF and configure FAF settings.
- To learn how to create pricebooks please read the article, Create and edit pricebooks.
- To learn how to prepare CSV files to import data into vWork please read the article, Prepare a CSV file to import data into vWork.
- To learn how to add FAF to line items in a job or job template and see how we calculate and apply FAF to an invoice please read the article, Apply FAF to invoice line items.
- To learn how FAF shows and can be edited for line-items in the vWork mobile app, please read the article, Edit invoices with FAF line-items using the vWork mobile app.