vWork offers an optional invoicing feature known as FAF (Fuel Adjustment Factor). FAF is a percentage-based surcharge that is added to transportation line items in an invoice. The FAF feature in vWork makes it simple and easy to manage changes in fuel prices and reflect these variations in transportation line items in your customers’ invoices.
We explain vWork’s optional FAF feature in the article, What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor?
In this article
As a mobile worker using the vWork mobile app, you may sometimes need to update invoice information in a job’s Invoice screen, including FAF-enabled line-items. In this article we explain how FAF is shown and applied when using the vWork mobile app.
- How FAF is applied to line items in a job invoice
- How FAF shows on an invoice in the vWork mobile app
- What you can do with FAF-enabled line-items in the vWork mobile app
- How to adjust FAF-enabled line-items in the vWork mobile app
- Related articles
Click the topic link above to go to that topic. You can return to this topic list by clicking this icon:
How FAF is applied to line items in a job invoice
FAF may be applied to line-items in a job in several ways. It can be:
- Enabled for line items in a job template so that jobs created from the template have FAF calculated for selected line items when the quantity is updated for those line items.
- Manually enabled for line items in an invoice by your dispatcher. When it is enabled for individual line items FAF is automatically calculated when the quantity is updated. This may be done at any time from before you start a job to until after you have completed a job.
- FAF can be ‘enabled’ for selected line items in a pricebook. When you or your dispatcher adds a ‘FAF-enabled’ line-item from a pricebook the FAF amount is calculated for that line item and added to the FAF line-item in the invoice.
- FAF can also be automatically applied to a job after the last step is completed when your hours worked and your mileage is known.
How FAF shows on an invoice in the vWork mobile app
FAF is calculated automatically for FAF-enabled line items.
The actual quantity in the line-item and the unit price create a total value for the line item. The FAF percentage is applied to the total value of all FAF-enabled line-items in the invoice. This calculates the FAF value that shows in a separate FAF Fuel Adjustment factor line-item.
In this example, the FAF percentage rate of 25% is applied to the first two line-items, the ‘DC10ft 20Km’ and ‘DC20ft HQ 20Km’ line-items. The ‘After hours’ line item has no FAF applied.
To calculate the FAF value, the combined value of the FAF-enabled line items is $370. The calculated FAF value is 25% of $370. This is a total FAF value for both line items of $92.50.
What you can do with FAF-enabled line-items in the vWork mobile app
What you are able to do with FAF-enabled line-items is determined by the vWork Finance Invoicing settings. Your vWork Admin decides what these are.
In the vWork mobile app you may be able to:
- adjust the ‘Actual Quantity’ for line-items that have FAF enabled in the job
- add FAF-enabled pricebook line-items to an invoice
- delete a FAF-enabled line-item in an invoice.
In the vWork mobile app you can’t:
- change the FAF rate that is used - this is controlled by your vWork Admin and is set in the FAF Finance settings
- add FAF to line items that don’t have FAF enabled. Line-items have FAF enabled in the job in the web app or when a FAF-enabled line-item is added from a pricebook.
- move the FAF line-item to a different location in the invoice. Your dispatcher may move other line-items to change the positioning of the FAF line item when it shows in the customer’s invoice - but this is not something you can change.
How to adjust FAF-enabled line items in the vWork mobile app
Above, we said that for FAF-enabled line-items you can adjust the quantity in a line-item, add a FAF-enabled pricebook line-item to an invoice, or delete a FAF-enabled pricebook line-item.
When the vWork mobile app syncs FAF information with the vWork server there is a lot happening in the background. This means that changes you make to FAF-enabled line items won’t change instantly in the mobile app. You’ll need to do some things to view the updated FAF values in the job invoice.
Here we explain the steps to enable you to view the latest FAF information in the invoice for a job and keep the vWork server (and your dispatcher) in sync with the changes you make in the vWork mobile app. These steps apply to both the Android and iOS versions of the vWork mobile app.
Edit FAF-enabled line-items
To edit a FAF-enabled line item, in the vWork mobile app:
- From the Jobs screen tap to open the job.
- Tap the Invoice tab or menu item to open the Invoice screen for the job.
- Make the change you want in the job’s Invoice. This may be adding a FAF-enabled pricebook line-item, adjusting a quantity, or deleting a FAF-enabled line-item.
- Exit the job; tap the back button to exit the job and go to the Jobs screen.
- Make sure you have a strong data connection and then refresh the screen to sync the updated job information with the vWork server. Alternatively, you can wait for your mobile device to sync on its own.
💡Tip: You won’t be able to see the updated FAF values and other FAF changes if you can’t sync the vWork mobile app with the vWork server. If you are uncertain if your mobile app has synced, check the Sync Activity in the vWork menu. You can open this by tapping the hamburger icon in the red banner - you’ll find this at the top left of the Jobs screen.
- Open the Invoice screen for the job to see the changes.
💡Tip: It may take up to a minute for all the changes to show and the FAF calculations to be completed. If you are not sure that all changes have come through, try refreshing the job again following steps 1 to 4 above.
- To learn more about what FAF is in vWork and how your business can benefit from it, please read the article, What is the Fuel Adjustment Factor (FAF)?
- To learn how to enable FAF and set the FAF rate percentage to apply to automatically generated time and distance line items for completed jobs please read the article, Enable FAF and configure FAF settings.
- To learn how to create customer-specific FAF rates and apply these to selected customers please read the article, Set customer-specific FAF rates for selected customers.
- To learn how to change the customer-specific rate assigned to a group of selected customers, restore the default rate for a customer, or delete a customer-specific rate, please see the article Change customer-specific FAF rates for selected customers.
- To learn how to update a Pricebook so that selected line items automatically apply FAF when added to an invoice please read the article, Enable FAF for line items in a pricebook.
- To learn how to add FAF to line items in a job or job template and see how we calculate and apply FAF to an invoice please read the article, Apply FAF to invoice line items.
- To learn how FAF applies to automatically generated time and distance line items, please read the article FAF and automatically calculated time and distance line items.