Why add notes to your job?
Notes can be used to attach additional information to jobs by dispatchers or workers (or via the API).
You can add notes to jobs and job templates using the Notes field in the Job Information tab. Notes entered here show in the Details and Notes sections for the job on the mobile app.
You can also add a notes field as a Custom Field. These show in the Fields section for the job on the mobile app.
In this article
This article explains how to add notes in the vWork web app. Topics include:
- Add a note using the Note field in the Job Information tab
- Create a custom field for notes on a job template
- Add a Note to a job using a custom field
Add a note using the Note field in the Job Information tab
You can add notes to the Note field in a job or job template. The Notes field allows multiple notes to be added over time, and only the person who creates the Note can edit it. Notes are saved with a timestamp and who recorded the note. This is useful when you don't know how many notes you will need when setting up your template.
To add a note to a job or job template:
- Create or open the job or job template.
- In the Job Information tab scroll to the Notes section.
If the section is collapsed click to expand it.
- Click Add Note to add a Note field.
Tip: If this is a new job or job template, or no previous notes have been added to an existing job or job template, there will already be a blank Note field.
- Enter the Note.
- Click Create or Update when you have finished making changes to the job or job template.
Note: Mobile workers can also add notes to a job's Details on their mobile app.
Create a custom field for notes on a job template
You can also create your own custom field for recording job notes. This is a single custom field and does not allow for multiple entries, time stamping, or recording who added the note. This option is more useful when you know how many notes you are going to need in advance.
When creating this custom field, you can call it Notes, but to avoid confusion, you may want to be more specific and name it something more descriptive like Delivery Instructions, Customer Instructions, Delivery Details, or something similar.
You create custom fields for notes in the job template. You can then add the note details in the job itself.
Like all custom fields, you can choose to make the note Read Only, Hidden, Optional, or Required. The selection you make here determines how the mobile worker interacts with the custom field.
To create a Note Custom Field:
- Go to Settings > Templates and choose the job template you want to add the Note Custom Field to.
- Click to open the Custom Fields tab.
- Click Add Custom Field.
- Under Name type a suitable name for the Custom Field (eg. Notes, Additional Information, Delivery Instructions).
- Under Type select Free text.
- Leave the Detail field blank if you want the dispatcher or worker to complete this later. Alternatively, if you want the custom field to always show the same information, then enter the details into the Detail field now.
Tip: The dispatcher can edit this information in the job. Unless the field is saved as Read Only or Hidden it can also be edited by the worker on the mobile app.
- Under Permissions select if you want this note to be Read Only, Hidden, Optional, or Required.
- Click Update or Create when you have finished making changes to the job template.
All future jobs created using this template will include this new notes field.
Tip: Only new jobs based on this template will have the new field. Jobs created before the field was added to the template won't.
Add a Note to a job using a custom field
Once a Notes Custom Field is added to a template Notes can be added to the Job. These will show on the mobile app in the Fields area.
If you want mobile workers to add notes - leave the field blank or provide them with a prompt or example of what you want them to put into this field.
To add a Note in a Notes Custom Field:
- Open an existing job or create a new one based on a template that includes a Notes Custom Field.
- Go to the Custom Fields tab.
- Type the information you want the worker to see in the Detail field.
- Click Update or Create when you have finished making changes to the job.