The location type custom field can be used to capture a location in a custom field, either as a street address or as a set of GPS coordinates. The location is identified with a pin on the map and a location description in the location custom field in the vWork mobile app.
It is useful when mobile workers need to:
- record the specific location of a feature, such as a new tree planting.
- find the location of something they need to work on at an address for a job, such as a utility tower, manhole, or service meter.
The location type custom field is an optional feature in vWork. If you want to find out more about it or add it to your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team will be in touch to talk with you about your requirements.
If you want to learn more about custom fields, please read the article: What are custom fields in Jobs and job templates?
In this article
This article explains how to use the location type custom field.
The topics covered are:
- Add a geocoded location to a custom field in the job editor
- Add a location to a custom field in the Android vWork mobile app
- View a pinned location on the map in a report
- Good to know
You can click any link above to go directly to that topic or read on if you want to find out about everything related to the location type custom field.
You can click this icon at any time to come back to this topic list.
Add a geocoded location to a custom field in the job editor
Once you have added the location type custom field to your job template, you can start adding locations to your jobs as custom fields. Like every other custom field, these are added in the Custom Field tab in the job editor, or in the Fields screen on the mobile app. This topic looks at what you can do in the job editor on the website.
There are three formats that can be used when adding a geocoded location to the location type custom field in the job editor. You can select the format that most suits how accurate you need the geocoded location to be.
Format 1: geolocated street address
You can add a geolocated street address to a location type custom field exactly as you would add it to a step. This will show the geolocated street address in the field on the mobile app and will show a pin on the map in the general location of the street address. This is best when a precise location is not required and a street address is helpful.
To add a geolocated street address to the location type custom field:
- Click the Details for the location type custom field and start typing the address.
- Click to select the address you want from the options presented in the drop-down list.
- Once selected the geolocated address shows this symbol to indicate it is geolocated.
Format 2: generate an address from GPS coordinates
If you have the GPS coordinates of the location, but you want this to be displayed as the nearest geolocated address, then you can enter the GPS coordinates to find this.
To add a geolocated address to the location type custom field using GPS coordinates:
- Click in Details and enter the GPS coordinates; for example, -36.849730, 174.763708.
Tip: You can copy GPS coordinates directly from google maps and paste these into the location type custom field. To do this, open Google Maps and right-click on the location to show the GPS coordinates. Click on the coordinates to copy them to your clipboard ready for you to paste them into the location type custom field. For more information on supported coordinate formats, please refer to this article.
- Click or tab out of the address to show the nearest geolocated address to the GPS coordinates that you entered.
Note: If the GPS coordinates are not close to the street where the mobile user gains access to the property, or the coordinates are close to a boundary, the geolocated street address may show as the nearest neighboring street address.
Format 3: raw GPS coordinates
When you must show the exact location of a feature on a map it is best to use precise GPS coordinates. To make sure GPS coordinates don’t give you a nearby street address add square brackets around them. They will show as GPS coordinates in the job editor and on the mobile app.
To add raw GPS coordinates to the location type custom field:
- Click in Details and enter the GPS coordinates with a square bracket at each end; for example, [-36.849730, 174.763708].
Tip: You can copy GPS coordinates directly from google maps and paste these into the location type custom field. To do this, open Google Maps and right-click on the location to show the GPS coordinates. Click on the coordinates to copy them to your clipboard ready for you to paste them into the location type custom field. (Remember, you will need to add the brackets before exiting the location type custom field.) For more information on supported coordinate formats, please refer to this article.
- Click or tab out of the field.
We geolocate the GPS coordinates for you and show the coordinates in the field with this icon to confirm the location is geocoded.
Add a location to a custom field in the Android vWork mobile app
In the Android version of the vWork mobile app you can use the location type custom field to drop a pin on a map to show the precise location of a feature.
A pin dropped on the map shows in the field with the nearest geolocated address, but when you tap on the field you can see the exact location of the feature on the map. The geocoded GPS coordinates are saved with the job.
To drop a pin to identify a specific location on a map:
- Open the Fields screen for the Job.
- Tap the location icon in the location type custom field to open the map. In this example, we have called the field Plant Location 1. We will use this field to identify the specific location of a tree that we are planting for this job.
- When you first open the map it is in normal view. Your location is easy to find, look for on the map.
- You can spread apart your thumb and index finger on the screen to zoom in to get a closer view of the map, or pinch them together on the screen to zoom out.
You can also change the view to see the landscape features more easily. To change the view, tap the menu in the top left of the screen to show the different view options.
- Then tap to make your selection. In this example, we will tap Satelite and zoom in to get a closer view of the landscape.
- To drop the pin, tap the screen where you want it. If you drop it in the wrong place, tap again in the right location. You can also tap in the banner at the top of the map to drop the pin on top of your current location.
When you have dropped the pin where you want it, confirm the location by tapping in the banner at the top of the screen.
- When you tap you are returned to the Fields screen where you will see the nearest address to the dropped pin in the location type custom field. You can tap in the field again to see the pin on the map and move it if needed.
- The location shows in the job editor with the same address that shows in the location type custom field on the mobile app.
In this example, we completed the rest of the planting and put in two more pins to show where the other trees are. This is what the dispatcher now sees in the job editor for this job.
View a pinned location on the map in a report
When the job is completed you can run reports that show the information captured in the location type custom field.
Here is an example using the same job we used to plant the trees above. This is the Job Status report (V2) view of the field we called Plant Location 1.
You can see:
- The location field has a zoomed-out map of the location where the pin is placed. The pin will be in the center of the map.
- The GPS coordinates are also shown beneath the map. The coordinates are colored blue to tell you that they are a clickable link.
To see a closeup view of the pin’s location:
- Click the blue location information at the bottom of the map to open Google Maps at the location of the pin.
- You can then zoom in and change the view to see what you need to.
Good to know
- Location type custom fields are useful for viewing locations on a map but are not a navigation tool. The geocoded step address is the tool to use when you need to navigate to a site.
- For the location type custom field to work correctly in the mobile app, make sure you allow vWork to access your location while you are using the app. This is set up in your phone’s settings under the location permissions for the vWork app. Also, make sure you enable Location Tracking in the settings of the vWork mobile app.
- Your Android device must run at least version 10.21.1 of the vWork mobile app. We recommend you always run the latest version of vWork on your mobile device to get the best performance from the app.
- Using location tracking on a mobile device can consume a lot of power. You should make sure you have a way to top up your device’s battery while in the field.
- You can find out more about using GPS coordinates in the article: Can I enter GPS Coordinates instead of a street address?