What are Mobile Reminders?
Mobile Reminders are notifications that pop up in the vWork iOS mobile app to remind you that you need to complete a step on a job. This is useful when it is important to keep the status of a job that you are working on up-to-date. To learn more about Mobile Reminders, please read the article: What are Mobile Reminders?
In this article
This article describes how to activate and use Mobile Reminders from the vWork app on your iOS device. Topics included in this article include:
- How do I turn on Mobile Reminders?
- How do I refresh Mobile Reminders to reactivate them?
- How Mobile Reminders work
- Scheduled reminder
- Arrival reminder
- Departure reminder
- A word about location tracking
You can quickly go to any topic you are interested in by clicking on the link above. You can also easily return to this topic list at any time by clicking this icon:
How do I turn on Mobile Reminders?
Mobile Reminders are managed in the settings menu of the vWork app. They are not active by default and must be turned on in the vWork app settings if you want to use them. You can choose to turn on all, some, or one of the available Mobile Reminders.
To turn reminders on:
- Open vWork on your IOS device.
- Tap at the top of the screen to open the Main Menu.
- Scroll to the Settings heading and tap Settings.
- Scroll to the Notifications heading and tap Reminders.
- Tap each toggle button next to the Mobile Reminders you want to be active. Your vWork Administrator will tell you which Mobile Reminders you should activate. In this example, we have toggled all mobile reminder options to the on position.
- The selected mobile reminders are now active for the vWork app. Tap Settings > Jobs to return to the Jobs List.
How do I refresh Mobile Reminders to reactivate them?
Once a mobile reminder is activated for a specific job it won’t show again. If you need Mobile Reminders to be repeated you can refresh reminders in the vWork app Settings. This will reactivate Mobile Reminders for today’s jobs that aren’t yet completed.
To refresh your Mobile Reminders:
- Go to the vWork app Settings and open Reminders.
- Tap in the red bar at the top of the screen.
How Mobile Reminders work
This topic explains the rules that reminders follow. First, we provide general information about all reminders, then we descried the specific rules that apply to each type of reminder.
Important information about how all Mobile Reminders work
- You only see Mobile Reminders for jobs that you need to complete today. If you have jobs on your mobile app scheduled for tomorrow, or later, you won’t receive reminders for these until the day they are scheduled.
- You will only see Mobile Reminders on your phone for jobs you have already started, or if no jobs are started, then jobs that are accepted and are the next job scheduled to start today.
- Jobs that you have completed today won’t stop you from getting new Mobile Reminders.
- Once you have had a mobile reminder you won’t see it again unless you choose to reset all Mobile Reminders for jobs that aren’t yet completed for today. The process for resetting your reminders is described above.
- All Mobile Reminders have two options for you to select from when they show on your phone. You can choose to complete the step named in the reminder or cancel the reminder. These options are explained next.
- When you choose Complete Step you automatically complete the step named in the reminder and the Job details for that job open. In the example, shown above, this step was called ‘En route’.
- If the step is the first step for the job you will start the job.
- When you choose Cancel the reminder is dismissed and no changes are made to the job. If you haven’t yet completed the first step for the job the job remains unstarted in vWork. You are returned to the Jobs list in the mobile app.
- You will continue to receive other reminders while this and other jobs are not started.
The purpose of the Scheduled Reminder is to remind you to complete the first step on a job.
How the Scheduled Reminder works
Scheduled Reminders have some extra settings in addition to the settings that apply for all reminders (see above).
- Scheduled Reminders are activated 15 minutes before a job is scheduled to start to remind you to complete the first step on a job. This is a time-based reminder.
- You may receive more than one Scheduled Reminder in a row if you have several jobs in your mobile app with the same start time. Each new Scheduled Reminder will only show when you have acknowledged the one before it by choosing Cancel. If you choose Complete Step the next Scheduled Reminder won’t show until you have completed the current job.
The purpose of the Arrival Reminder is to remind you to complete a job step when you arrive at the location where you are to complete that step.
How the Arrival Reminder works
Arrival Reminders have some extra settings in addition to the settings for all reminders (see above).
- Arrival reminders are activated when you are within 300 meters of a job step that has a geocoded address and are no longer moving, or are moving at walking speed. It is a location-based reminder.
- You can only get Arrival Reminders for steps with geocoded locations included as part of the step.
- For an Arrival Reminder to be received the job does not need to be started but it must have been accepted (if Accept or Decline is enabled for you). Pending jobs won’t trigger an Arrival Reminder.
- You only get Arrival Reminders for jobs that are scheduled for today. So if you have two jobs to the same address but scheduled for different days in the Jobs list you will only be reminded about today’s job.
- If two jobs are within the 300-meter range the Arrival Reminder will activate first for any job that is started. If no job is started it will activate first for either of the scheduled jobs. You will only see an Arrival Reminder for one job. Once you have completed that job, or canceled the reminder, you will see the Arrival Reminder for the second job.
- You may get several Arrival Reminders for one job but you won’t get them all at the same time. You will get an Arrival Reminder for every step for a job that has a geocoded address. You must complete the step or cancel the reminder to see the next Arrival Reminder.
- You can get an Arrival Reminder for the same step you received a Scheduled Reminder for if you canceled the Scheduled Reminder and have not completed that step.
The purpose of the Departure Reminder is to remind you to complete a job step when you have left the location where you expected to complete that step.
How the Departure Reminder works
Departure Reminders have some extra settings in addition to the settings for all reminders (see above).
- Departure reminders are activated when you are on the move and are 300 meters to 750 meters away from a step with a geocoded address that you have just been at. It is a location-based reminder.
- You can only get Departure Reminders for steps with geocoded locations included as part of the step.
- You can’t get a Departure Reminder for a step you have completed.
- You can only get a Departure Reminder for a step after you received an Arrival Reminder, or a Scheduled Reminder for it if you canceled either of those Mobile Reminders and haven’t completed the step.
A word about Location Tracking
When you use the Arriving or Departing Mobile Reminders you need your location settings turned on for the vWork app. Location settings tell the vWork app how close you are to a job. This information is used to trigger the location-based Mobile Reminders.
We recommend that you have Location Tracking set to Always to get the most from the Mobile Reminders feature. The process for turning this on is explained below.
Tip: If you don’t want your location tracked when you have the vWork app open in the background but aren’t on shift, make sure you set your Operating Hours to match your working hours in the Settings. When you set your Location settings to Always we won’t track you when the app is logged out or it is outside the Operating Hours you have saved in the Settings.
Turn on Location tracking for the vWork mobile app
To turn location tracking on your iOS device:
- Tap the iOS Settings icon to open the Settings.
- Scroll down to the app section and tap vWork app to open the IOS setting for vWork.
- Tap Location to access the location tracking options for vWork.
- We recommend you tap Always to make sure vWork Mobile Reminders will work when you are using the vWork mobile app.
- When setting Location to Always, please ensure that your phone is plugged into a power source whenever possible throughout the day.