Every job in vWork creates a single draft invoice in Xero. Sometimes you want multiple vWork-generated draft invoices in Xero consolidated into a single invoice.
Xero uses the term Merge when it consolidates invoices. In reality, Xero doesn't merge invoices - instead, it copies the line items from the source invoices and creates a new invoice with these items. The original vWork draft invoices remain in Xero until you choose to delete them.
In this article
This article explains how to create a new invoice in Xero that includes all line items from several draft invoices that were generated by multiple jobs in vWork.
Topics covered by this article include:
- How do I identify vWork invoices in Xero
- How to consolidate several vWork invoices into one?
- I've created a new consolidated draft invoice - what now?
How do I identify vWork invoices in Xero
When you view vWork invoices in Xero you will see them listed with a status of Draft. The vWork job number shows in the Ref column and the customer's name is listed in the To column.
How to consolidate several vWork invoices into one?
To consolidate several vWork invoices into a new invoice:
- Click the Drafts tab to view all draft invoices.
- Click the checkboxes for the invoices that you want to consolidate to select them.
- Click to open the Copy & merge into a new... pop-up window.
- The Invoice option is selected by default.
You can add the customer's name at this point. Start typing this into Merge all contents into one for:. If the contact name exists in Xero you can select it from the options given, or type the entire contact name if it is new.
- Click to create a new draft invoice that includes the combined line information from the selected vWork draft invoices.
- The new draft invoice won't include the vWork job reference numbers from the original draft invoices. You can add this information manually in the Reference field if you want it to show on the invoice.
- Review the invoice and update the details if you need to. You can click Add details to add other information to the invoice such as your logo, postal address, and GST number if this is required. Or you can click Skip for now to remove this section from the invoice.
- Click Save & Close to show the new invoice in the main invoices screen in the Draft tab. Alternatively, you can choose other options to save and create a new invoice, or approve and email the invoice.
I've created a new consolidated draft invoice - what now?
Once you have saved the consolidated invoice it will show, along with the original vWork invoices, in the Draft tab on the invoices page ready for approval.
You can choose to delete the original vWork invoices at this stage, but make sure that you have a record of the vWork job reference from the original invoices. Unless you have added these to the new invoice this information is not recorded.
The article What will my invoices look like in Xero? provides more information on what you will and won't see from the vWork invoice once it has been sent to Xero.
Xero also has support articles explaining how to copy invoices to a new bill or purchase order. You can find them here.