If your administrator has enabled it, you can create new jobs from the vWork mobile app in the. Jobs screen. Jobs are created by entering job information into a job template designed to guide a team member through the correct steps to help them complete a job. These are unique to your organization. The types of jobs you can create are defined by your vWork Administrator; you may have access to a selected range of job templates or all job templates.
In this article
This article explains how to create a new job from the Android vWork mobile app.
- Open the New Job screen and select a job template
- Complete the customer information
- Change the job duration
- Add an Asset to the job
- Assign the job
- Add the Step address(es)
- Complete Field information
- Save and publish the job
Click the link above to go to that topic. You can return to this topic list by clicking this icon:
Open the New Job screen and select a job template
There are two ways you can begin the process of creating a new job using the vWork mobile app.
- From the Jobs screen open the Choose a job template... pop-up screen.
To do this either:
- Tap in the lower right hand corner of the Jobs screen, or
- Tap in the red banner to open the vWork menu and select .
💡Tip: If you can't see the template you are looking for, start typing the template name into the Search... field. This lists templates with the typed letters. For example, if I typed 'D' the three templates shown in the example above are listed as they all have 'D' in their names. If I had typed 'S' only the bottom two templates would be listed. And, if I had typed 'Food' I would only see the first template for 'Food Delivery'.
- Tap to select the template you want to use to create the job. This opens the New Job screen where you add the job information to the job.
In this example, we selected 'Standard Delivery' as the job template we want to use. This opened the 'New Job' screen with the 'Standard Delivery' job template.
Complete the customer information
The first information you add to the job is the customer information.
There are three ways customer information can be added:
1. Search for an existing customer
You can search to add customers that with an existing vWork customer record to a job.
To search for and add an existing customer:
- Tap to open the Choose a customer screen.
- Either start typing the customer's name in the 'Search' field or scroll and tap to select the customer from the customer list to add their details to the job.
2. Find an existing customer on the map
When the customer has a geocoded site address saved in their customer record, you can search for the customer on the map to add them to the job.
To search for and add a customer from the map:
- Tap to open the map. This shows all customers with a geolocated site address.
- Use your fingers to pan and zoon to find the the customer you want on the map.
- Tap to select the customer and add their details to the job.
💡Tip: You can pinch to zoom. Where there are many customers close together they show as a number in a circle. As you zoom in you will be able to see their individual location pins.
3. Add a new customer
If the customer is new and they don't have any existing record in vWork, you can add their details to the job using the 'New Customer' form. This creates a new customer record for them in vWork that can be used for future jobs.
To add a new customer:
- Tap to open the New Customer screen where you can add the customer's details.
You must save the customer's name, all other fields are optional.
Add the new customer's Site or Billing Address
To add the customer's site or billing address to the 'New Customer' record:
- Tap the corresponding 'Address' icon to open the map where you can search for the address.
- Tap in the black banner to open the keyboard and the Search... field.
💡Tip: If Search... doesn't appear in the banner, your device's display may be too small to show the search field. Tap the to reveal the search field.
- Start typing the address. You don't need to type the full address, but you will get a shorter list of search results to select from if you add more information. When you have typed enough to clearly identify the address, tap on the keyboard to display address options.
💡Tip: If you typed the complete address, or there is only one option that matches the search you entered, the address shows in the white banner at the top of the map and the cross hairs on the map move to the address. There won't be a list of addresses for you to select from.
- Tap to select the customer's address.
- The address you select shows in a grey banner at the top of the map and the crosshairs move to the selected address on the map .
Tap inthe banner to confirm your selection and add this as the customer's address. You are returned to the 'New Customer' screen.
- Tap OK when you have entered the remaining customer information. The new customer record will be created when you finish creating the job and sync your vWork mobile app with the vWork server.
💡Tip: If the device keyboard covers the fields where you want to add information, you can tap the devices back button to dismiss the keyboard and then to tap the field to enter the information.
Change the job duration
You can adjust the template's default duration. This specifies how much time it is expected for the job to take to be completed.
To adjust the job duration:
- Tap to open the tool for changing the hours and minutes for the job duration.
- Adjust the job duration using the clock or keyboard.
- When you have set the job duration you want tap OK to confirm our selection.
Add an Asset to the job
You will only have the option to add an Asset if this option is enabled in your vWork account.
To add an Asset to a job:
- Scroll to the Assets area and tap to open the Choose an Asset... screen.
- Either start typing the Asset's name in the 'Search' field or scroll and tap to select the Asset from the Asset list to add its details to the job.
Assign the job
You can assign the job to a Group and a worker - either yourself or another worker.
💡Tip: You are only able to assign to a job to a group if the template allows for this. You can't assign a job to a group that you don't belong to.
To assign the job:
- Tap the Group drop-down list to reveal a list of the Groups that you can assign the job to (if this is an available selecting for this job). Tap the Group you want the job assigned to.
- Tap the Worker drop-down list to reveal a list of workers you can assign the job to, then tap a worker to select them.
- Select the Start date and time from the Start at fields.
Tap each field to make your selection, then tap OK to confirm your selection.
Thi example, shows selecting the start time.
Add the Step address(es)
You can add a geolocated step address to one or more steps. When a step is geolocated it is visible on the Map and can be navigated to using your devices navigation app accessed via the step or th Map in the vWork mobile app.
💡Tip: You may need to scroll the screen to see all steps.
Step addresses are added using the Work mobile and web app Maps. You can open the map for a job and view the step address location from the Steps section in the job. Once opened you can search for an address, use the location centred on the map in the crosshairs, or assign the customer's site address to the job.
💡Tip: If you want to use the Asset's address you must search for this on the map to assign it.
To add a geolocated step address:
- Tap the step that you want to add the address to. This opens the Map.
- From the Map you can choose to:
- Tap to select a location defined by the crosshairs on the map.
We explain how to do this below.
- Tap to select the customer's Site Address as saved in the Site Contact details in the vWork customer record.
- Tap in the black banner to open the keyboard and the Search... field. This is the same process as searching for and adding an address to a customer as described earlier in this article.
- Tap to select a location defined by the crosshairs on the map.
- Once you have selected the address, tap to confirm your selection and add it to the step address for the job you are creating.
Select a location from the map to add this as the step address
You can add an address to a step (or to the customer record when adding a new customer) by selecting the location on the map and identifying it with a map pin. To do this:
- Tap the step you want to add the address to. This opens the Map.
- Drag you fingers around the map to find the location, then tap to place the crosshairs over the exact location you want to add as the step address. You may need to zoom in and out to find the exact location that you want to pick.
- Tap to drop the pin and define the location you want to add as the step address.
- The nearest street address to the pin drop displays at the top of the map beneath the banner. You'll be able to navigate to the exact location using the Map.
- Tap to confirm the location selection and add it to the step as the step address.
Search for an address and add this to the step address
If you know the address, or part of the address you wan to add to the step address you can search for it.
💡 Tip: This is the same process you use to add an address to a new customer.
Complete Field information
If required, complete fields that provide information to the worker assigned to complete this job.
To add field information:
- Tap in the field and add the information.
In this example, we have added a remark in an optional text field.
Save and publish the job
Once you have entered all the job information you can save it and, if a worker has been assigned to the job, publish it.
To save the job:
- Tap in the banner at the top of the New Job screen.
- The job is published the next time the mobile app syncs with the vWork server.
🔔Note: The job may not be instantly uploaded and published when you tap . The time that the job is uploaded depends on when your vWork mobile app next syncs with the vWork server. This is influenced by how strong your data connection is and how much job information you have added to the job. Jobs with lots of data take longer to sync and use more mobile data. We have more information about syncing your Android vWork mobile app in the article, Android: sync vWork mobile app job information with the vWork server.