Fields are used to share information with you about a job, and to capture information about the job as you complete each job step. There are many types of fields; they may be used to capture a signature and photo as proof of condition for a delivery, provide you with essential information like which gate to use when entering a work site, or enable you to select an option from a picklist such as if the weather was wet, humid, dry, overcast, or windy. There are many ways in which fields are used in a job.
In this article
This article explains how to use and complete fields for a job.
Click the link from the topic list above to go to that topic. You can return to this list by clicking this icon:
Open the Fields screen
Open the Fields screen to view more detailed information about the job and to capture information that relates to a job and job steps.
There are two ways you can open the Fields screen:
- Tap into the Fields screen in the red banner to open the fields for the job, OR
- Tap anywhere in the Field section on the Details screen (as shown in this picture).
Note: The Fields section will show you how many fields the job has and how many of these you have completed. In this example, you have completed 0 of 4 fields (0/4 Completed) as is shown in the green area.
Types of Fields and Field permissions
Types of fields
There are many field types; for example, signatures, photos, picklists, dates and times, numbers and notes.
For a full list of field types please see this article, Custom field types you can use in jobs.
We also have articles that explain how to complete specific field types:
Fields will also have one of the following permissions which defines what you can do with the field:
- Read-only: These have a white background and grey writing. They provide information about the job and cannot be completed or added to. These normally have information added to them before the job begins by your dispatcher.
- Optional: These also have a White background. They may be any of the field types. Text will be black to show the contents of the field can be edited or added to. It is optional to complete these fields and they don't need to have information added to them to complete the final step for the job.
- Required: These have Red background. Required fields must be completed for the job to be completed.
Complete a field
Sometimes job templates separate fields into sections. Where this is used section headings have a Grey background. Fields in a section will not show if the section is collapsed.
To open a section:
- Tap to display the fields in that section and make them available to be actioned.
Note: Only fields in the section you have open will display. The other sections will collapse and hide the sections in them when you open a new section.
Complete a field
To complete a field:
- Tap in the field to open it.
- Complete the field as required by the field type (add a signature, select from a list of options, enter text, etc).
In this example, the driver opened the 'Customer Signature' field in the 'Driver Section'. The customer signed their name on the phone's screen, and the driver entered the customer's name beneath the signature using an onscreen keyboard. In the Photo field, the phone's camera was activated and the driver took a photo of the delivered parcel.