Most of the time, if your Android device has a good data connection, job information is automatically synced between the vWork mobile app and the vWork server. There are, however, times when you may need to manually sync job information to make sure this is up-to-date for both the dispatcher and mobile worker. A manual sync is performed in the vWork mobile app from the vWork menu.
❗ Important: If you don't have a good cellular or data connection your vWork app may not be able to sync with the vWork server even when you perform a manual sync. The article, My vWork mobile app isn't receiving jobs or a job is missing, explains more about this. We recommend you read this article if you find that your job information isn't updating as you expect it to.
In this article
This article explains how to check the sync activity in the Android vWork mobile app and how to manually sync the app when data is waiting to be updated with the vWork server. Topics include:
- Check the sync activity
- Manually sync the vWork mobile app
- The app isn't manually syncing - what now?
We recommend you work your way through the topics in this article in order. If you want to return to this topic list click this icon:
Check the sync activity
To check the sync activity in the vWork mobile app:
- In the 'Jobs' screen tap in the red banner to open the vWork menu.
- Tap Sync Activity to open the 'Sync Activity' screen.
💡 Tip: A green dot next to the Sync Activity menu item means the job information you have added is synced. A red dot means there is information to sync. Even if you see a green dot it is still helpful to perform a sync to update changes your dispatcher may have made to your job information or work schedule.
- The 'Sync Activity' screen opens showing you the most recent job information shared with the vWork server, how your mobile device is connected to the server, and if there are pending job and location updates.
💡 Tip: You can also see listed the most recent sync activity. This shows you what information was shared each time the vWork server synced with your device.
- If there are no pending job or location updates tap Done to return to the 'Jobs' screen.
Manually sync the vWork mobile app
You might want to manually sync your mobile app with the vWork server when you have been out of cellular, data or wifi coverage, or if you have just updated job information that you want to make sure is shared with the dispatcher as soon as possible.
There are three methods to manually sync the Android vWork mobile app. You can manually sync from the:
- 'Jobs' screen:
Put your finger in the centre of the screen and drag down then remove your finger from the screen.
You'll see your updated job information when the app finishes syncing.
- vWork Menu:
You'll see the app refreshing to sync the data. When the app finishes syncing tap to the right of the menu in the area that shows the greyed out 'Jobs' screen. This returns you to the 'Jobs' screen where you can view and access the updated job information.
The app isn't manually syncing - what now?
If you can't get the vWork app to manually sync:
- Follow the steps above to open the Sync Activity screen.
- Check to see if there is data connection. You may be in an area where there is limited cellular and data service. You may also need to check your phone's data settings to see if the data is switched on. If you have a poor data connection then wait until you are in an area with better reception before you try manually resyncing again.
- If you have a good data connection then restart your device without logging out of the vWork mobile app.
❗Important: When you stay logged in the job information you have entered is stored in the vWork mobile app until it is shared with the vWork server. If you log out you lose the job information that you have updated that hasn't yet synced. We recommend you only log out fo vWOrk when you are confident that the job information has synced with the vWork servier and there are no pending job updates.
- If restarting your mobile app hasn't worked then Bump your app.
❗Important: Bump deletes the last piece of data you added to a job (e.g., a step completion, a photo or signature you have captured, a custom field you completed). Sometimes the last piece of data added has a sync error and prevents other job information from syncing. This may be all that is required to sync the remaining job data. If you bump data you will need to add the bumped data back into the job after the sync is completed.
To Bump your vWork app tap Bump at the bottom of the 'Sync Activity' screen.
If none of these steps sync you vWork job information, please contact email@example.com.
You can find out how to send a Support Request email through the vWork app in this article, Android: Send a vWork Support Request from your Android mobile device.
When you send a Support Request through vWork a log of your mobile device settings is included in the email. This can help us to diagnose the problem. Please also include a brief description of your problem so that we know what to help you with.