A job with a status of Assigned has a worker and start-time assigned to the job. It has been accepted by a worker through the mobile app, shows is in the mobile app's jobs list, and is ready for them to start the job. The dispatcher can see the job has a status of Assigned n the Jobs tab and the Schedule.
By default, the vWork General Settings are set to automatically have workers accept jobs published to their mobile apps. This means that jobs are assigned the moment they are published. Alternatively, you can enable the Accept or Decline Jobs setting which enables workers to choose to accept or decline jobs published on their mobile apps. Before a worker accepts a job it has a status of Pending. Once accepted the job's status changes to Assigned. If you don't assign a job after it is created (and it isn't in draft status), it has a status of Unassigned on the Jobs list and the Schedule.
You can assign jobs through the Schedule, the Job Editor, and the Jobs tab.
In this article
This article explains how to assign a job in vWork. Topics include:
- Assign a job from the Schedule
- Assign a job from the Job Editor
- Assign a job from the Jobs tab
- Assign a job from the Map
You can go straight to the topic you are interested in by clicking the topic link above. Click the van icon to return to this topic list when you see it in the article.
Assign a job from the Schedule
Unassigned jobs are bright pink. They show in the left panel. If they are unassigned and have a start time they also show on the workbench.
To assign a job:
- Drag the job from the left-hand panel or from the workbench and place this on the schedule.
The job is shown in a selected time slot on the worker's schedule but doesn't show on the mobile worker's phone in the mobile app. At this stage, the job is Unpublished and is orange. It can be moved around the schedule while you plan the schedule and add other jobs.
- While jobs remain unpublished the Publish Schedule button is orange and flashes.
Click Publish Schedule when you have arranged the jobs how you like.
When you publish the schedule all jobs are sent to each worker's mobile app. When Accept Decline is enabled, Jobs have a status of Pending until they are accepted by the worker through the mobile app. Once they are accepted they change status to Assigned. In this example you can see:
The job for Toby Rizer is published but Pending as Bindi Bulker, our worker, hasn't yet accepted the job through her mobile app.
The Job for James Johnson is assigned to Bindi but is in Draft status. It is not published on Bindi's mobile app.
- The job for Ann Teak is Assigned and accepted by Bindi.
- The job for Eileen Dover is in Draft. It not assigned to a worker but has a start date and time so it also shows on the Workbench at the top of the schedule.
- The Job for Arthur Eden is Unassigned with no start time. It shows in the left panel under the heading No Start Date.
Assign a job from the Job Editor
You can also publish jobs from the Job Editor at the time you create them, or later by opening the Job Editor from the Jobs list or the Schedule. Jobs scheduled via the Job Editor skip the orange unpublished step you see when using the schedule, and go straight to assigned (or pending if Accept Decline is enabled).
To publish a job from the Job Editor:
- Make sure you assign both a worker and a start-time to the job. (You can also just assign a time, in which case the job will appear on the workbench for later assignment to a worker.)
- Click Publish Job to save the job and publish it to the worker's mobile app. The job has a status of Pending if the Accept or Decline Job setting is enabled in the vWork General settings, or Assigned if this setting is not enabled. When a job is Pending it will change status to Assigned when a mobile worker accepts the job through the mobile app.
Assign a job from the Jobs tab
You can assign a worker to one or several jobs quickly from the Jobs tab.
- Click to add a checkmark in the checkbox next to each job you want to assign.
- Go to the Actions drop-down menu and select Assign to Worker.
- Choose the worker and a start time.
- Click OK to publish the jobs.
Once published the jobs have a Pending status until accepted by the worker through the mobile app. In this example, two of the four jobs have been accepted and are Assigned. The dispatcher is waiting for the worker to accept the other two jobs.
Assign a job from the Map
You can assign a job to a worker from the Map. You can only assign one job at a time from the Map. Unassigned jobs show on the map as a bright pink triangle.
To assign a job from the map:
- Go to the Map.
- From the Activity tab click the checkbox next to Unassigned, and make sure the Time Range is selected to All Time. This shows all unassigned jobs on the map.
Note: You may need to zoom the map in or out to see the unassigned jobs.
- Click to select the job you want to assign. The background around the job changes to a blue circle to show the job is selected.
- Click to open the Assign tab.
- Under the Job Start Time heading click to select the date and start time from the respective fields.
- Click to select a worker from the list of workers in the Select Worker drop-down list. In this example, we have chosen Bindi Bulker.
Note: If the word Busy shows next to the worker's name this tells you another job is in a draft, pending, or assigned state for this worker during the time period selected for this job. Once you select the worker you are able to see the status of the conflicting job before you publish the job to the worker's mobile app.
- A mini schedule displays for the selected worker showing where the job is to go on the schedule. The time slot for the job is represented by a pink bar above the worker's schedule. You will also see the jobs that are scheduled near or in the selected time slot in the worker's schedule. The job colors show each job's status. If there is a conflict of time between jobs you can adjust the start time for the job. As you adjust the time the mini schedule view changes so you can find a time that works.
If you are happy that the time slot will work, click Publish Job to publish the job to the worker's mobile device and assign the job to their schedule.