What is a job?
You can manually create a job and import jobs into the vWork from other systems.
How do I manually create a new job?
Jobs are most often based on a job template. The article How do I Create a Template? explains more about templates.
To create a new job:
- Go to the Schedule page or the Jobs page.
- Click the New Job button to display a list of templates you can use to create your job.
- Choose a job template from the list to match the job you want to create. (In this example, I have selected Greenwaste Bag Collection - a template I created earlier.) Once you select the template it opens a new job in the Jobs page using the selected template.
- Complete the fields on the Job Information tab.
- Add any information to the Custom Fields tab.
- Click Create or Publish
Note: An option here is Create a New Job (No Template). This option can be turned off (so it doesn't show in this list) from Settings>General: scroll to Mandatory Job Templates and check the box to turn this off.
What are the job tabs in the job editor?
Once you have selected the template it opens the job editor where you enter the details about the job. The information you see will depend on the template you have selected.
The Job editor has two tabs that show as default. These are the:
- Job Information tab, and the
- Custom Fields tab.
Other tabs, such as Invoicing and Health and Safety, may also show if you have enabled these features in your vWork account.
The Job information tab
The Job Information tab is where you enter the details about the job. This information shows on the worker's phone under the job Details and the job Steps.
This tab has the following fields:
- Edit: this shows the name of the template, the Customer name, the planned job duration, and the number of jobs you are creating from this template. If you have saved the job template with customer information this will pull through into the job; if not, you can enter an existing customer's name here. You can also change the estimated job duration and, if you want to create more than one job at the same time you can change the number of jobs.
- Customer Details: these fields self-populate if this is an existing customer, or you can enter new details here if this job is for a new customer.
- Notes are for the Dispatcher and get saved against the job. These do not pass on to the mobile user.
- Assign the Job to a Worker: This section enables you to assign a job to a worker and set a start date and time. If you know which worker will do the job then you can assign them to the job now. When a worker is assigned a start date and time are also assigned. The default is to set the start date and time as the current time. You can change this now if you want to. If you don't assign a worker to the job you can easily do this later.
You can set a start date and time without assigning a worker. This puts the job on the workbench on the Schedule page at the date and time you specified.
When you assign a worker to the job the Create Job button changes to Publish job. When you save this job using Publish job the job is published to the assigned worker's phone. If no worker is assigned the job goes into the jobs list and schedule so it can be assigned later.
- What Steps Must the Worker Complete?: add the address for these steps here if an address is required. You can click the blue dot if you want to use the site address of the customer (if they are an existing customer) as the address.
- Your template may also include other sections depending on what options are turned on in your vWork account.
The Custom fields tab
Custom fields in the Custom Fields tab show on the Fields tab on the worker's mobile device. The information here is either information you want the worker to capture on the job (for example, proof of delivery) or extra information you want them to know about the job (for example, a note with details to find a key to open a gate). To find out more about Custom fields see the articles:
- What is the difference between steps and custom fields?
- What are the Job Fields I can have in vWork ?
Once you have finished entering the details for the job click Create or Publish Job at the bottom of the page.